Monday, June 16, 2014

Sanding the neck

I like the feel of un lacquered neck. Whether it is polyurethane or nitrocellulose lacquer they tend to feel quite sticky to me. Sanded and oiled wood is just perfect. You kinda bond more to the vibrating neck when there is nothing between hand and wood.

I bought some sandpaper from hardware store.

There are plenty of different methods how to do it.

1st one is more traditional. You sand the lacquer away. It is done here (and in many other places).

Other option is to smooth the sticky lacquer with really fine grit. Galeazzo Frudua does it here in his video tutorial. I've actually done this to my Eric Johnson strat. It made way better and faster too.

Then again - I don't know the status of the 102s. Is it already sanded? Fretboard at least is über shitty.
Plenty of tutorials and ways to get over this issue, but old toothbrush and lemon oil are key tools here. You might even use very light mix of some detergent and toothbrush in the beginning if shit is tight.





No comments:

Post a Comment